It was under the Pombaline auspices that the Royal Factory was founded in 1767 which, owing to its location at Largo do Rato, took the name Factory do Rato (Fábrica do Rato).
In 1770, to defend itself against its rivals, the importing of ceramics was forbidden, with the exception of porcelain from the Orient when transported in Portuguese ships and exports of Faience from the Royal Factory were exempt. However, and despite these measures, the Factory soon began to have huge losses which spelled their end in 1835.
A further Lisbon ceramic production in this period was the Royal Factory of Bica do Sapato (Real Fábrica da Bica do Sapato), founded in 1796 by Luís Soares Henriques which was devastated by fire in around 1820.
Other ceramic workshops in the capital were revamped during the Pombaline reforms, but they were immediately destroyed with the French invasions, later with the decrees of 1808 and 1810 which opened up the overseas’ market to English exports, and finally with the civil war of 1832-34.
But as from the mid-19th century, and after these convulsions, ceramic production rose again, to wit by dint of its industrialisation. Several factories sprang up in the capital in this period such as the António da Costa Lamego Factory (Fábrica de António da Costa Lamego) founded in 1889 (subsequently Viúva Lamego), the Royal Factory of Sacavém (Real Fábrica de Louça de Sacavém) and the Sant’Anna Factory (Fábrica de Sant’Anna), inter alia.
24 April 2008