The estate of the Quinta das Cruzes Museum also encompasses other collections which feature here grouped by their lesser representativity in the collection as a whole.
Means of Transport
In the Musical Instruments cluster, worthy of special mention is a numbered Harp by J.A. Stumpff, a London manufacturer who worked in the 19th century and incorporated in the Museum collection thanks to a donation from the Homem Costa family. Also of particular interest in this cluster is the Orchestrophone (a mechanical musical instrument) dating from 1900 and which has an extensive list of 167 perforated musical cards.
Manufacturer. J.A. Stumpff
London, 19th century
Donation Homem Costa family, 1993
MQC 2201Plaque: "J.A. Stumpff Nº 14 G.t Portland Street, Portand Place/London".
The Means of Transport cluster is made up of palanquins and sedan-chairs dating from the 19th century, and of particular interest is a sedan-chair of English origin dating from 1792-1816 whose lateral projection bears the arms of the count of Ribeiro Real, and a French sedan-chair dating from the 19th century and which was recently restored at the Portuguese Institute of Conservation and Restoration.
Although it has not been studied in great depth yet, the collection of Metals is made up of a varied set of pieces and a wide range of types. Of particular note are the Nuremberg plates, the bed warmers, the set of mortars as well as a whole cluster of pieces of a more utilitarian nature.
PlateNuremberg, 16th century
Currently on loan at Casa Colombo - Museu do Porto Santo is a significant part of the Archaeological Cluster of the Quinta das Cruzes Museum. This cluster is made up of various pieces (a cannon and its firing pins, fragments of pipes, coins and silver ingots) belonging to the estate of the Dutch ship Slot ter Hoodge which sank off the Island of Porto Santo.
Another set of pieces assigned to this cluster comprises the donation by Francisco Reiner in 1988 and which includes various ceramic and metal pieces discovered in his underwater searches carried out off the Portuguese and African coasts.
Although not extensive, the Textiles collection has some pieces of great interest encompassing pieces of a religious nature (such as the frontals) and others of a profane nature which includes the kilts from Castelo Branco, kilts of Chinese origin, male court costumes, an interesting cluster of 30 fans and also two tapestries. One is Flemish and the other is of French production "Manufacture Royale d’Aubusson 1743".
Tapestry (detail)Aubusson, 1743
The set of pieces going to make up the Glass cluster, is also awaiting an in-depth study and is chiefly made up of bottles, glasses and chalices, making up a total of one hundred pieces.
Standing cupPortugal (?), 19th century
28 April 2008